Sunday, January 28, 2007

Day 7

I woke up today rested as ever. For the first time in a while I haven't hit the snooze button. Looking ahead at my calendar for the day, I knew that I had a long one in me so I had some vegetable juice instead of fruit juice for breakfast. This morning was broccoli and cucumber with a little lemon which, believe it or not, isn't half bad. My morning concluded with having to be at a huge lunch with almost two hundred people who nearly all had brought their own favorite side dishes and several pigs worth of pulled pork provided by the church. Although, I was able to hold of my urges to eat and appear to be in a fairly good mood, I left the church for a quick break seriously doubting my ability to make it 30 days.

Since I had an hour or two before I needed to be back at church, I thought I would go check in with my parents whom I hadn't seen in a while, and they own a scale. I hung out with them for quite a while but I kept wondering what this fast was doing to my weight. Clothes have been fitting a little looser, but I wasn't really expecting a major difference. 208lbs which I misread for 213lbs but either way the last time I weighed in about a month ago I was between 230 and 235lbs.
I feel better than I have felt in ages. A friend pointed out today that we often use many things to help cover our feelings whether it is food, alcohol, or nicotine. All of those and others fill little gaps and help shelter what is really going on inside. By fasting I feel able to really connect with what I am feeling. Is that how my spiritual journey begins? Am I gaining better clarity on who I am and my own strengths and weaknesses? I hope so and really feel like it today. Day 7, 1 week, has been a wonderful milestone. At points I didn't think I would make it this far, but feeling the way I do now, and seeing the immediate results, which won't make a difference unless I change my old eating habits, have given me that extra push to at least take this next 7 days in full stride.

No comments: