Friday, February 9, 2007

Day 19

What a day! I woke up to go and buy some running shoes. Instead of trying them out, I made a trip to the Vietnamise grocery store around the corner. The store has such a fantastic selection of produce and it is less than half the price of all the other grocery stores. I had a blend of an oriental pear, apple, and mango juice for lunch. It was one of the best juices I have had since I started my fast.
This evening, I witnessed one of the greatest basketball games of my life. The 5th grade team that I help coach was down 16-2 at the end of the first quarter. They clawed their way back to be down by 1, 34-33 with 11 seconds left. After a missed shot and a rebound, we shot the ball with only fractions on the clock to win the game. Everyone rushed the court and I nearly fell over. My heart was racing more than after any race or game I have ever played in. I felt so energized that when I got home, I decided to test out my new running shoes. I ran 1.75 miles with out walking which although it took me almost 20 minutes, I haven't even been able to run that far with out stopping in years. I got in a rhythm and just like years ago when I was a pretty serious runner, I found myself getting in sync with the sound of my feet hitting the pavement. Tomorrow I am going for two, but I think I will head to a track to go a little easier on my body.

No comments: